Only financial members are eligible to enter club competitions with the exception of the End of Year Competition. Members who have opted not to renew their membership are eligible to enter the End of Year Competition if they have been financial members during the year to which the End of Year competition applies. All End of Year rules apply to such lapsed member entries.
There are two competition grades:
B Grade: For members new to club photographic competition. It is also for less experienced or skilled photographers looking to hone their art in competition without the stress of competing against more accomplished photographers.
A Grade: For more experienced and accomplished photographers.
Competitions are held monthly during the year, with an End of Year competition in December.
The Club conducts 9 monthly competitions, each with 6 competition sections.
- B Grade Open Prints
- A Grade Open Prints
- B Grade Open Projected Images
- A Grade Open Projected Images
- Set Subject Prints
- Set Subject Projected Images
Members are eligible to enter only the Set Subject and the two sections which pertain to their grade. Set Subjects for each competition are published in the Club syllabus.
Members may enter a maximum of 6 entries in any month across their four relevant sections. The entry number restrictions are:
- No member may enter more than 3 images in any one section
- No member may enter more than 3 prints overall
- No member may enter more than 3 digitals overall
All images submitted must be fully the work of the competing member. They may be colour or monochrome unless prescribed by set subject. There are no restrictions on post-processing unless prescribed by set subject.
Entries must be submitted to the Competition Steward by the competition closing date. Closing dates for each competition will be published in the syllabus. Late entries may be accepted at the discretion of the Competition Steward(s).
Images in monthly competitions will generally be assessed by a guest judge who may recognize images with Highly Commended, Commended or Image of the Month awards. The club reserves the right to conduct in-house judging of monthly competitions with rules and methods determined by the Committee.
- Must be delivered to the Competition Steward at a club meeting by the closing date
- May be printed commercially or by the competing member
- Must be identified on the back of the print with the competition section (e.g. B grade Open), a title and the member’s competition number. Do not put your name on the print
- Should be marked with an arrow on the back indicating the orientation of the image, so it is clear which way up the image is to be viewed.
- Should be mounted (matted). Unmounted prints may not be accepted, at the discretion of the Competition Steward. The maximum size for the image is 16 x 20 inches (or 40 x 50cm), including the mount. Maximum thickness of print + mount + backing is 5mm.
- Must be accompanied by a completed Competition Entry Form which may be obtained from the club website or the Competition Steward
- All print entries must also be submitted in digital format using the Photo Contest Pro service which can be accessed through the CPS website, or as advised by the club. The format and size requirements are the same as for the projected images (see below). Print entries which do not have a corresponding digital file may not be accepted.
Projected (Digital) Images:
- Must be in JPEG format and sRGB colour space. Recommended DPI is 300.
- Must have a title. Titles such as "untitled" are not acceptable
- Must be entered using the Photo Contest Pro service which can be accessed through the CPS website, or as advised by the club
- Must not contain any watermarks which identify the artist
- Sized to a maximum of 1920 pixels (width) and 1080 pixels (height) and a maximum file size of 3 MB (this is NOT 1920 pixels on the long edge)
Paul Robinson Trophy
July's monthly competition is replaced by the Paul Robinson Trophy. The club's founder, Paul Robinson, selects a set subject for the competition each year and judges the entries on the night. The set subject is published in the syllabus.
Images can be entered in following categories:
- A Grade Print
- B Grade Print
- A Grade Projected Image
- B Grade Projected Image
A perpetual trophy is awarded to the top entry regardless of category.
Projected entries must be uploaded as for regular monthly competitions by the closing date published in the syllabus. Print entries must be brought along on the night, and a digital version of the print must also be uploaded by the closing date for digital entries. All size and format restrictions which apply to regular monthly comps also apply to the Paul Robinson Trophy.
There is no restriction on the time at which an image entered was produced, however members are encouraged to continuously seek opportunities to create new work. Images may be re-entered into monthly competitions, but images which have received an award in any intra-club competition (including the End of Year and Paul Robinson Trophy) are no longer eligible to be entered into monthly club competitions in any form.
End of Year competition
The End of Year competition takes place in December. Awards are presented to a winner and a runner-up in the following sections:
- Monochrome Print
- Portrait Print
- Nature Projected Image
- B Grade Open Print
- A Grade Open Print
- Field Trip Projected Image
- B Grade Open Projected Image
- A Grade Open Projected Image
- John Commin Memorial Landscape Trophy (print competition, winner only). The John Commin Memorial Landscape Trophy is a perpetual trophy awarded annually for the best landscape or seascape print
- A Grade Photographer of the Year and B Grade Photographer of the Year awards will be awarded based on aggregated results of monthly competitions
One outstanding Image of the Year is selected from all entries in the above sections.
EOY Conditions of entry
- Members may enter up to two images in any section for which they are eligible. Entry method is the same as for monthly competitions
- B Graders may not enter the A Grade section if there is an equivalent section for B grade members eg: A Grade open print/B Grade open print.
- All entries except those in the Field Trip section must have been entered in monthly competition (including the Paul Robinson Trophy) during the year of the EOY competition
- An image must be entered in the same medium (print or digital) in monthly and end of year competitions. The same print or digital file must be used. Damaged prints may be re-printed without edits.
- To be eligible for the End of Year Nature category, photographs must comply with the following definition:
Nature photographs can depict any branch of natural history except anthropology and archaeology. The primary subject matter can be living organisms (animals, insects and growing plants), landscapes, geologic formations, or weather phenomena. This includes images taken with subjects in controlled conditions such as zoos, game farms, botanical gardens and aquariums. Photographs of cultivated or human created hybrid plants (either food or decorative), or domesticated animals are ineligible. Human elements should not be visible, except where they are integral parts of the nature story, such as wild creatures adapting to the built environment. Scientific tags and bands on wild animals are allowed.
Stitched panoramas, focus stacking and HDR are allowed. Minor edits to remove distractions and improve the artistic impact of the photograph are permitted so long as they do not alter the truth of the primary subject.
Contact the Competition Steward at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a competition number or have a query related to the above rules